7 Renovation and Design Tips from the ‘Masters of Flip’
HGTV power couple Kortney and Dave Wilson share their interior design and home renovation secrets.
Between raising three children, filming their HGTV series Masters of Flip, and preparing for the Vancouver Fall Home Show (October 26 to 29), Kortney and Dave Wilson found time to chat with Western Living about their best home renovation and design advice. Consider this a teaser for their upcoming presentation on the Fall Home Show’s main stage this weekend.
A Few Tips on Renovating…
1. Location, location, location! When the geographic landscape is changing, you have to adapt to the area you’re in. “If you have a lot of shade—or a lot of rain—you need to address lighting in the interior and exterior accordingly,” says Dave. Colour schemes may need to change as well—consider how a neutral or electric colour would look in a dim space compared to a brightly lit room.
2. Take it easy. “We’re big fans of advising people not to go big,” says Kortney. She and Dave stress the importance of starting small and doing things “bite-sized,” especially if it’s your first time renovating. It’s much safer to get educated and act slowly—don’t be afraid to seek contracting help.
3. Consider the project timeline. It’s important to think of the big picture. “Bigger projects (kitchen, washroom, living room) can take months,” the couple explains. Not only does the cost of a large project build up, it’s also an extended amount of time for you to go without being able to use an important room in your house. Dave and Kortney insist that small interior upgrades are the way to go: “They’re not costly, not permanent, and can be completed over the weekend.”
4. Be strategic in the living room. Though every home the duo designs turns out differently, they always place major emphasis on the living/media room. The most important element? “Television,” says Kortney. “You’d be surprised how important having a strong TV section in the living room is. For a lot of people, it can make or break the entire house.”
A Few Tips on Design…
5. Let there be light. Like designing for the landscape, lighting is something a lot of people overlook. “Layering [a space] with ambient lighting and task lighting is really important—and make sure you have a dimmer,” says Kortney and Dave.
6. Add layers of accent colour to a space. Using a mix of electric and primary colours (neutrals, dark and light greys) is key: “You can’t mix electric and electric, or primaries with other primaries,” says Kortney. “Choose colours you like within your entire home, then layer in the electrics. Pick the colours you love, but don’t use them all in one room.”
7. Combine timeless staples with trendy accessories. When choosing between timeless or trendy design elements, Kortney suggests you pick a combination of the two. “For bigger and more expensive pieces, like a sofa, go timeless. [But for] smaller pieces like pillows, feel free to experiment—they’re less expensive and you have tons of options,” she says.
Vancouver Convention Centre, West Building
1055 Canada Place, Vancouver
Thursday, October 26 to Sunday, October 29
Psssst! When you purchase your tickets online, you can use promo code WESTERN to get two tix for the price of one. Buy tickets now!