Practically Perfect Neutral Placemats
We’re bringing neutral back.
Whether you’re going for retro glam (like this vintage-inspired table) or white whimsy (like this elegant spread), finding the perfect placemat is essential to a create a cohesive tabletop design. Although a splash of colour is always a good idea, we’re bringing back the classics—black, gold, grey, and white—for an elegant, modern look that can outlast any Pantone Colour of the Year (yes, even Marsala). Here are our top picks.
1. Chalkboard Placemat, $13.95, Crate & Barrel, crateandbarrel.com
Have an artist in the family who just can’t sit still? Need place cards but don’t have the time? This chalkboard placemat from Crate & Barrel is a multitasking must-have.
2. Cracked Placemat, $11.95, CB2, cb2.com
Three words: animated avant garde. This swoon-worthy modern placemat is the perfect stand out for a neutral tabletop.
3. Maasai Placemat in Charcoal, $9.00, Urban Barn, urbanbarn.ca
Neutral doesn’t have to mean boring. This Massai placemat from Urban Barn, with its faux ostrich texture, has just the right amount of pop to be a suppertime stunner.
4. Gold Fence Placemat, $7.99, CB2, cb2.com
You can never have enough gold—at least in our humble opinion. This patterned placemat from CB2 is the perfect tabletop accessory for a dinnertime daydream to the golden beaches of Kauai.
5. Metallic Reversible Placemat, $13.95, Crate & Barrel, crateandbarrel.com
Gold on one side, silver on the other, this reversible placemat from Crate & Barrel has us seeing the shining benefits of going metallic.
6. Capiz Placemat 16” Gold, $240.00, Bliss Home and Design, blisshomeanddesign.com
Sure, Harry, we’ll come over for a candlelit soiree! This scalloped gold placemat (at a whopping $240 each) is sure to attract some royal guests.
7. Birch Forest Placemat, $7.00, Urban Barn, urbanbarn.com
Feeling bad about spending a gorgeous summer day inside? Why not take the forest with you? This Birch Forest placemat from Urban Barn pairs great with a cream tablecloth and copper silverware.
8. Kenneth Cole Reaction Hone Prince Placemat in Grey, $14.99, Bed Bath & Beyond, bedbathandbeyond.ca
Looking for a bold optical illusion? Try Kenneth Cole Reaction’s so-detailed-you’d-think-it-was-real-pony-hair placemat (Okay, that’s not the official name).
9. Puutarhurin Parhaat Coated Cotton Placemat, $26.00, Marimekko, marimekkovancouver.com
One of Marimekko’s more neutral designs, this Puutarhurin Parhaat placemat brings ‘playing with your food’ to a whole new level.
10. Dizzy Placemat, $5.00, Urban Barn, urbanbarn.com
According to Interior Designer Melissa Ennis, if you’re going for a white-on-white look, you need to play with layers. Our suggestion? Try adding a tinge of texture with this dizzy placemat from Urban Barn (for only $5!)
11. Myla Gold Linel Placemat, $12.95, Crate & Barrel, crateandbarrel.com
Minimalist and transparent, this subtle and delicate placemat works in almost any table setting.
12. Small Talk Placemat, $10.00, Kate Spade, katespade.com
Running out of dinner conversation? Just look down! Kate Spade’s Small Talk placemat, with it’s elegant and playful typography, is sure to get the party started.