Braised Rabbit (Kouneli Styfado)
From the newly opened restaurant, The Greek by Anatoli, Braised Rabbit is a dish filled with savoury flavours that leave the meat tender and light.
4lbs rabbits legs
1 cup of white wine
1.5 tablespoons of tomato paste
1.5 cups of chicken stock
3 whole cloves
3 allspice berries
1 bay leaf
2 cinnamon sticks
5 black peppercorns
1/4 cup of vegetable oil (to sauté)
2 1/2 cups of peeled pearl onions
1. Season rabbit legs with salt and pepper.
2. In a medium stockpot, brown rabbit legs in oil for about 2 minutes on high.
3. Drain excess oil from pot, then deglaze with white wine.
4. Reduce wine by half in covered pot, then add tomato paste and chicken stock.
5. Combine cloves, allspice, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, and peppercorns in a sachet and add to pot.
6. Simmer over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until meat starts to fall off the bone.
7. Add pearl onions and continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes on medium heat or until onions are fully cooked.
8. Remove from heat and serve with heirloom carrots, gigante beans, or orzo.