Hubbub Watermelon Salad
Watermelon is a summertime favorite and it’s even better when mixed with fresh herbs and spicy jalapeño pepper.
- Yield: 4 servings
2 cups watercress (or substitute arugula if watercress is not available)
1 1/2 lbs. watermelon (you can substitute cantaloupe or other summer melons), rind and seed removed, flesh cut into 2 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup cucumber, sliced
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh mint, julienned
1 tbsp basil leave, julienned
1 tbsp very thin slivers of fresh jalapeño pepper
Freshly cracked black pepper
Coarse sea salt
Fresh shaved coconut, crumbled goat’s feta cheese, or shaved parmesan cheese.
1) Whisk together the white balsamic vinegar, lime juice and olive oil. Set aside.
2) Place the watermelon, cucumber slices, mint leaves, basil leave and jalapeno pepper slivers in a medium mixing bowl and very gently toss with half of the dressing.
3) In a second bowl, toss the watercress in the other half of the dressing.
4) Divide the watercress and the watermelon/cucumber mixture among four plates.
6) Garnish with a generous pinch of coarse sea salt and some freshly cracked black pepper.