Rockfish Ceviche with Orange-Mango Gastrique
This recipe from Hendricks Resto-Lounge‘s chef Chris Savino has everything you want in a ceviche: fresh seafood, bright pops of citrus and an element of crunch.
¼ cup white sugar
½ tsp salt
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 star anise
1 fennel bulb (sliced thinly)
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
Juice and zest from 2 limes
Juice from 2 oranges
1 green onion (sliced thin)
Segments from half an orange
1 chopped red Thai chili
¼ cup Diced tomato
1 tbsp chopped herbs (tarragon, dill)
1 tbsp honey
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
½ cup mango juice
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 pound Rockfish, diced (if you cannot find rock fish, halibut or scallops make a great substitution)
2 avocado diced
2 tbsp pickled fennel
Ceviche marinade (all)
1. Bring all ingredients to boil in pot, then add the shaved fennel and place in fridge to cool.
1. Mix all ingredients in bowl.
1. In a heavy-bottom pot, melt the sugar until it becomes a light golden color then add in the rest of the ingredients let heat reduce until it coats the back of a spoon (approx. 4 minutes).*
*Tip: if it gets too thick add a couple drops of water.
1. To fry the tortilla strips: thinly slice one tortilla and fry in a pan with 1 cup of oil, once they are crispy and golden remove using a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
2. Mix diced fish, avocado and pickled fennel with the marinade and let rest in fridge for 45 minutes. (The longer the marinade is left in fridge, the more it will cook.)
3. Place in the centre of a bowl.
4. Garnish with the crispy tortilla strips and drizzle orange-mango gastrique on top.
5. Serve with bowl of tortilla chips for dipping.