Beet Salad with Burrata and Granola
Make good use of winter produce with this flavourful recipe from The Salted Vine Kitchen and Bar in Squamish.
- Yield: Serves 4
250g Italian Burrata cheese
12 medium-sized pickled beets
1 cup granola
1 orange (in segments)
1 grapefruit (in segments)
Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch sea salt
2 litres water
3 cups granulated sugar
500ml white wine vinegar
⅓ cup kosher salt
12 medium size golden beets and candy cane beets
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cups hazelnuts
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup honey
¼ cup vegetable oil
Pinch sea salt
1. Combine all the ingredients in large pot.
2. Cook the beets until tender (about 40 to 50 minutes).
3. Take the beets out to cool. Strain the liquid and set aside. Allow beets to cool enough to handle, then remove the skins.
4. Combine beets and cooking liquid in a sealable container. Store in cooler for up to 2 weeks.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F, then toast walnuts, pine nuts, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds separately.
2. Turn oven down to 300°F.
3. Combine toasted nuts and seeds with oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt in a large bowl.
4. Combine honey and oil in saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture and toss. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread the mixture evenly on the pan.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden, stirring every 10 minutes for even baking.
6. Place baking sheet on rack to cool. Store in air tight container for 1 week.
1. Slice burrata into bite-sized pieces and beets into halves or quarters.
2. Arrange cut beets and sliced cheese on each plate. Sprinkle sea salt on top of the cheese and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over beets.
3. Top with orange and grapefruit segments and garnish with mixed greens. Enjoy!