Glorious Gingerbread Cake Recipe
“Nothing reminds me of the holidays more than the smell of gingerbread baking in the oven. This moist holiday treat can be frosted to perfection with cream cheese frosting but also pairs well with a simple vanilla frosting.”
- Yield: Makes two 8-inch round cakes
Unsalted butter, for greasing pans
3 cups (345 g) cake flour, sifted, plus more for pans
2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup sour cream
½ cup hot water
⅓ cup molasses
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans and line with parchment circles
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until blended, about 20 seconds.
3. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, vegetable oil, sour cream, hot water, molasses, eggs, vanilla and vinegar. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then beat again on medium speed for an additional 30 seconds.
4. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 20 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack. Remove the parchment paper from the bottom of each cake, turn them right-side-up and leave them to cool completely. (Cake layers will keep at cool room temperature, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, for up to 24)
Excerpted from Sweet Bake Shop: Delightful for the Sweetest of Occasions. Copyright © 2018 by Tessa Sam. Published Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.