Lavender Crème Brûlée
Impress your party guests with this elegant dessert from Thomas Haas.
- Yield: Four 6-oz. glass terrines
1¾ cups cream
¼ cup milk
1 tsp dried lavender
½ vanilla bean, split and beans scraped
7 egg yolks
¼ cup granulated sugar
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine cream, milk, vanilla bean and dried lavender, and bring to a scald. Tightly cover and steep for 30 minutes (or longer for a stronger flavour).
2. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
3. Slowly incorporate the hot milk-cream mixture into the egg yolk-sugar mixture while continuously whisking.
4. Strain the crème mixture and refrigerate overnight.
5. The next day, pre-heat oven to 210°F. Arrange the vessels into a baking dish that is about 2 inches deep. Pour the crème brulée mix into the vessels to almost full.
6. Pour boiling water into the baking dish, allowing the dish to be filled halfway with water. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until the centre is slightly set.
7. Once cooked, allow to cool in the baking dish. Remove and refrigerate until cold (about 4 hours or overnight).
8. Once chilled, sprinkle sugar and caramelize with a blow torch. Top with fresh berries and serve.