Holiday Gift Guide: Part II
Even more gift ideas to make your holiday shopping a breeze.
1. Circular Logic – Designer Edward Armah literally cut corners to design the Harry Rosen pocket circle ($85), removing the bulk of the fabric without compromising style. Harry Rosen, across the West, harryrosen.com
2. Proud as a Peacock – The intricate print on the Passionate Russia blue silk twill pashmina ($620) deserves to be flown like a flag. FREYWILLE, Vancouver, 1-800-801-4094, freywille.com
3. Editor’s Pick – This Art Deco clock pendant (from $425) by Regina-born, Vancouver-based artist Anita Sikma is on my wish list this year. It’s like having a little piece of the Chrysler Building around your neck.—Naomi MacDougall, Associate Art Director. Online, anitasikma.com
4. Linked In – X by Trollbeads elevates the charm bracelet with a collection of designer links (from $34): build a one-of-a-kind piece with twisted silver serpents, rings cut to look like a city skyline, or simple, minimalist hearts. Tartooful, North Vancouver, 604-924-0122, tartooful.com; Suzie Q Beads, Buttons and Bijoux, Calgary, 403-266-1202, suzieqbbb.com; Beaden, Edmonton, 780-413-6970, beaden.ca; Steelmet Décor, Saskatoon, 306-974-3885, steelmet.net
5. Editor’s Pick – I’m dreaming of a pair of these Paul Smith pyjamas ($270), printed in the designer’s signature stripes.—Paul Roelofs, Art Director. Holt Renfrew, across the West, holtrenfrew.com
6. Watch It – Alessi’s sporty wristwatches (from $137) are cheerful and bold—timepieces that are also statement pieces. Gabriel Ross, Victoria, 250-384-2554, gabrielross.com; Inform Interiors, 604-682-3868, Vancouver, informinteriors.com; Home Evolution, Calgary, 403-253-8200, home-evolution.com; The Artworks, Edmonton, 780-420-6311, theartworks.ca; Five Small Rooms, Winnipeg, 204-488-8099, fivesmallrooms.com.
7. The Beat Goes On – If the black and gold Frends Taylor on-ear headphones ($199) aren’t glam enough for you, there’s always the interchangeable mother-of-pearl caps ($50) in dreamy iridescent hues. Chapters, across the West, chapters.indigo.ca.
8. Grab Bag – This chic black and white Baggu leather bag ($205), an exclusive collaboration with West Elm, is a luxe interpretation of the classic farmers’ market tote. West Elm, Vancouver, 604-733-6730, westelm.com
9. Bespoke Sparkle – Poppy Barley custom-fit pointed slippers ($188) are now available in an eye-popping Midnight Confetti print—the ideal accessory for a New Year’s Eve party, and the whole year to come. Poppy Barley, online, poppybarley.com
10. Editor’s Pick – Socks typically aren’t the most exciting thing to include on your Christmas list, but as a Vancouverite, it’s hard to resist this rain cloud-print Jonathan Adler pair ($14).—Stacey McLachlan, Associate Editor. Mint Interiors, Vancouver, 604-568-3430, mintinteriors.ca; The Artworks, Edmonton, 780-420-6311, theartworks.ca; Atmosphere, Saskatoon, 306-373-3004, atmosphereid.ca; Five Small Rooms, Winnipeg, 204-488-8099, fivesmallrooms.com.
11. Engineering Fun – Inspire your budding engineer with Goldie Blox and the Spinning Machine ($30), a story and construction set designed to “disrupt the pink aisle” and develop girls’ spatial skills. Toys R Us, across the West, toysrus.ca
12. Shacking Up – The Villa Julia cardboard house ($334) from Magis Me Too comes with stickers for personalization, so the kids can make their playhouse a play home. Gabriel Ross, Victoria, 250-384-2554, grshop.ca; Ella and Elliot, Vancouver, 604-563-1845, ellaandelliot.com
13. Day by Day – The oversized Stendig wall calendar ($45) is the only calendar in the Design Collection of the Museum of Modern Art. Crate and Barrel, Vancouver, 604-269-4300; Calgary, 403-278-7020; Edmonton, 780-436-1454, crateandbarrel.ca. Tiny Feast, Winnipeg, 204-942-5889, tinyfeast.com.
14. Power Lunch – Little foodies can tote their lunch in style with this leak-proof scooter-print So Young linen lunch box ($32), which can be worn as a backpack or messenger-style. Good Planet, Victoria, 250-590-3500, goodplanet.com; Crocodile Baby, Vancouver, 604-742-2762, crocodilebaby.com; Cherry Four, Calgary, 403-262-7171, cherryfour.com; West Coast Kids, Edmonton, 780-489-0707, westcoastkids.ca; Cravings, Saskatoon, 306-477-8200, shopcravings.ca; West Coast Kids, Winnipeg, 204-942-1237, westcoastkids.ca
15. All Aboard – These colourful Animal Journey Learning Shapes toys ($25) are made from solid pinewood and feature beautiful Haida-art renditions of a wolf, eagle, whale and raven—designer/artist Ben Houstie studied under Bill Reid. I-Hos Gallery, Courtenay, 250-339-7702, B.C., ihosgallery.com; Dilly Dally, Vancouver, 604-252-9727, dillydallykids.ca; Rubaiyat, Calgary, 403-228-7196, rubaiyatcalgary.com