My Neighbourhood: Milan
Ross Bonetti, the Livingspace head honcho, grabs some dolce vita in Milan.
Ross Bonetti is lucky—his job regularly takes him to locales that the world’s greatest designers call home. Take Milan, for example: he travels to Italy’s style capital several times a year to meet with suppliers, go to furniture fairs and generally hobnob with the city’s tastemakers. Here, he shares a few spots he returns to again and again.
1) As a retailer, I always like to visit 10 Corso Como, the world’s original “concept store.” The rooftop terrace has a great view of Milan’s cityscape.
2) Bar Basso, a historic Milanese bar, is the late-night place of the Milan Furniture Fair. As the crowd arrives, the tiny bar spills into the street and you can literally rub shoulders with some of the world’s most talented and famous designers.
3) The Rossana Orlandi shop is a must-see for the eclectic merchandise and the amazing space. Look for the elegant Signora Orlandi herself, always in signature oversized sunglasses, greeting shoppers.
4) One of my favourite fish restaurants is Il Pescetto—fresh, casual, well priced and charming. There’s none better in all of Lombardy.
5) The Milan Furniture Fair is the busiest 10 days of my year, so I love to finish the trip with a visit to one of my favourite places, Lake Como. A drive to Bellagio and then a ferry ride across the lake brings me to the Grand Hotel Tremezzo for the ultimate in relaxation.